St. Michael's Hospital - Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
May 31, 2018
CAN$40,000 - $50,000
Full Time - Experienced
Academic / Research
A postdoctoral position is available in the Brain & Breathing Science Lab at the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science at St. Michael’s Hospital (www.gasplab.com).
Our lab focuses on understanding the neural mechanisms underlying opioid-induced respiratory depression using rodent models and at finding novel therapies to prevent opioid overdoses using zebrafish. The Brain & Breathing Lab is collaborating with the Zebrafish Centre for Advanced Drug Discovery.
We are currently looking for a postdoctoral fellow to help establish a new, phenotype-based high-throughput platform in zebrafish to identify target genes and new drug compounds that could prevent respiratory depression with opioid overdose, while preserving the analgesic properties of opioids.
- Implement, test, and enhance our existing platform in zebrafish.
- Test chemical libraries such as FDA-approved and repurposing drug libraries.
- Develop gene screening approaches in zebrafish to identify key-genes involved in the regulation of breathing in zebrafish
- A recently obtained PhD in Drug and/or Gene Discovery in Zebrafish and Neuroscience.
- Experience and expertise with zebrafish, genes knockdown with morpholino oligonucleotides, and drug screening
- Relevant first-author publications.
- Excellent skills in scientific writing and verbal presentation in English with a recent publication track record
- Expertise in Neuroscience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Please do not apply if your PhD is not related to zebrafish or drug screening.
Additional Salary Information: Includes benefits, vacations, and health insurance
Internal Number: 001
About St. Michael's Hospital - Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science
The Brain & Breathing Science lab investigates the neural basis of breathing and how drugs such as opioid analgesics can affect breathing.