Salary range: Salary range: Total Negotiated Salary (TNS) calculation includes AAMC salary benchmarks for Neurology ranging from $109,360 to $214,667. The posted UC salary scales set the base pay determined by rank and/or step at appointment.
This position includes membership in the health sciences compensation plan, which provides for eligibility for additional compensation.”
Open date: January 29, 2024
Next review date: Thursday, Feb 29, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Feb 29, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Tenured Faculty Position in Neurology/Neurobiology and Behavior
UCI invites applications for a full-time tenured, in-line position at the Associate or Professor rank to join the faculty of the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior in the School of Biological Sciences and Department of Neurology in the School of Medicine, College of Health Sciences, University of California, Irvine.
Ideal applicants will be employing molecular, cellular, neurobiological, and/or genetic approaches to the study of neurodegenerative disease, including but not limited to Parkinson’s disease, ALS, and Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders, and/or neurovascular disease, with emphasis on potential translational application. Preference will be given to applicants whose research integrates cutting edge neuroscientific techniques using human and animal tissue.
Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., M.D.-Ph.D., or equivalent degree(s) and conduct a rigorous research program with a strong track record of publications, extramural funding, and hold an international reputation. Applicants will also contribute to teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels and demonstrate a commitment to leadership and service at UCI and wider communities. Please submit by February 29, 2024, a curriculum vitae, 3-page description of research interests and accomplishments, 1-page statement of teaching and mentoring experience, 1-page description of leadership and service experience, 1-page statement highlighting past and potential contributions to inclusive excellence, and the contact details for three potential referees. Information on the departments are available at http://neurobiology.uci.edu and https://www.neurology.uci.edu.
The successful candidate will be able to leverage existing resources and strengths of UCI Health and its campus partners, including the Alzheimer Disease Research Center (ADRC), Institute for Memory Impairments and Neurologic Disorders (iMIND), Institute for Clinical and Translational Sciences, Sue and Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center (SCRC), and graduate and resident training programs in the neurosciences and biomedical sciences. Researchers at UCI also benefit from outstanding resources and collaborators housed in UCI Beall Applied Innovation, the UCI Health Beckman Laser Institute, the Institute for Precision Health, Center for Neurotherapeutics, the Center for Neural Circuit Mapping, the Center for Neurobiology of Learning and Memory and others.
The UCI School of Biological Sciences and College of Health Sciences are recognized as national leaders in the development of programs designed to increase the participation of underrepresented groups in the biomedical sciences (http://port.bio.uci.edu/about/) and are firmly committed to the ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion (https://equity.bio.uci.edu/). The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education. UCI is a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI). These federal designations align with UCI’s aspiration to be a national leader and global model of inclusive excellence. We seek faculty who are committed to diversity as well as diverse faculty who will be role models for our students.
Research Statement (3 pages).
- An overview of grant funding and research projects currently being performed, as well as an outlook on future research directions.
Teaching and Mentoring Statement (1-2 pages).
This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities, including undergraduates, graduate students, and junior faculty.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence of effectiveness of previous teaching.
- See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement - https://ap.uci.edu/faculty/guidance/teachstatement/
Leadership and Service Statement (1 page).
- Provide examples of contributions to leadership and service including formal positions held on your campus, field and community. Describe specific initiatives you have led and the impact of these activities.
- Detail any leadership and service positions you would be interested and willing to take on at UCI.
Inclusive Excellence Activities Statement (1 page). Applicants will be evaluated on potential to contribute to inclusive excellence in areas of service, teaching and research. This statement should provide specific examples of your interests and activities in supporting inclusive excellence. Guidance on what to include in this statement can be found here: https://ap.uci.edu/faculty/guidance/ieactivities/.
The statement will be evaluated based on the specific criteria below.
- Indicate how you have demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive university community.
- Provide evidence (if any) of your track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute to existing campus programs, initiate new activities, or participate in national or off-campus organizations.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., M.D.-Ph.D., or equivalent degree(s).
- 3 required (contact information only)
Apply link: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/JPF08799
ABOUT UC IRVINE
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.