The Department of Psychology at Xavier University of Louisiana invites applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor of Neuroscience for the 2024-2025 academic year. The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Neuroscience (or equivalent), specific specialization within Computational/Network Neuroscience. The specific area of research is open, theoretical neural network modeling, modeling typical and atypical brain development, modeling neural connectivity of cognitive abilities, or identifying neural correlates of clinical symptomologies are encouraged. Xavier University of Louisiana utilizes a cloud-based service for faculty researchers in need of high performance computing. The Department of Psychology offers all levels of undergraduate instruction for two majors (Psychological Science and Psychology Premedical) and one interdisciplinary program (Neuroscience).
Successful candidates will be able to teach courses in the research sequence, cover existing courses related to their area of expertise, contribute to the expansion of the neuroscience program via the development of new courses, and be willing to teach core courses that fall within their area of expertise. Ideal candidates will focus on high quality teaching, maintain an active research program that involves students, and participate in service related to the department, college, and university. Ability and willingness to work collegially within a 4-4 teaching load is essential. Interested candidates should demonstrate a commitment to excellence by providing leadership in teaching, research, or service toward building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach undergraduate research sequence in-person;
- Supervise, mentor, and advise undergraduate students;
- Assist with providing leadership and counsel for the student organizations in the department;
- Develop and sustain independent research agenda;
- Contribute to the growth of the program;
- Participate in service activities for the department, university, and community; and
- Participate in on-campus department, division, college, and university meetings and assemblies, as well as university convocations and graduation.
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience or related area; (degree must be conferred by the start of the appointment)
- Committed to teaching 4-4 teaching load in person;
- Write and speak English proficiently;
- Demonstrate a strong potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring undergraduate students;
- Demonstrate a strong potential for developing an independent and externally funded research project involving undergraduate students;
- Demonstrate commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population; and
- Commitment to the mission of Xavier University of Louisiana.
- Experience teaching undergraduate neuroscience, psychology courses, and computer science courses;
- Experience teaching neuroscience to a diverse student body and knowledge of effective strategies (e.g. culturally responsive or inclusive pedagogy, awareness of issues that may affect the success of minoritized students) supporting underrepresented groups;
- Experience in mentoring and advising HBCU students leading to readiness for graduate school and the workforce;
- Awareness of pedagogical best practices and ongoing commitment to developing and maintaining knowledge in this area;
- Ability to develop community connections for student experiences (e.g. Fieldwork Practicum sites).
How to Apply-Required Documentation
Qualified candidates are invited to apply using Xavier’s online application site by logging in to https://jobs.xula.edu. Please submit the following materials: (1) A cover letter emphasizing qualifications for the position, interest describing your professional goals, relevant academic preparation and experience, and research interest; (2) comprehensive curriculum vitae; (3) statement of teaching philosophy; (4) research statement; (5) transcript; and (6) contact information for three references. Interested candidates should demonstrate a commitment to excellence by providing leadership in teaching, research, or service toward building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment. Please contact the search committee chair, Dr. Erika Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or additional information or questions. Xavier University of Louisiana is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. The Department of Psychology is especially interested in exceptionally well qualified applicants who will contribute, through their research, teaching, and service to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Screening of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications that are received by December 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM Central Time will be given full consideration.
About Xavier University of Louisiana
Founded in 1925 by Saint Katharine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, Xavier University of Louisiana is the only Catholic Historically Black College and University (HBCU). Located in New Orleans, the ultimate purpose of the University is to contribute to the promotion of a more just and humane society by preparing its students to assume roles of leadership and service in a global society. Xavier University of Louisiana’s current enrollment is 3,419. Of these, 2,693 are undergraduates and 205 are graduate students enrolled in Masters and Doctoral programs in the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition, there are 518 students enrolled in the College of Pharmacy, which offers the Master of Health Science in Physician Assistant Studies, the Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences, and the Doctor of Pharmacy. Xavier’s student body is 80% African American, with approximately 37% from Louisiana, primarily from the New Orleans area. The balance comes from 42 other states, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, and several countries.
Quick Link Posting: https://jobs.xula.edu/postings/2821