The Sales Engineer for the Microscopy business at Lumencor is responsible for advancing the goals and objectives of the sales team by driving growth in the life science marketplace. This position will interact with imaging directors, influential microscopists, microscopy course directors, customers and channel partners to grow sales of illumination products. The Sales Engineer will gain understanding of emerging lighting trends for life science microscopes as their role matures, while focussing on garnering interest to support sales of lighting products that serve the needs of “high-impact” microscopy customers throughout the Asia region.
- Identify, prioritize, and document opportunities for Lumencor sales of lighting products in the microscopy sales channel.
- Plan and execute training and other support functions to assist resellers and distributors of Lumencor products.
- Drive Lumencor product penetration within Big 4 Microscope organizations and proven dealers (Evident, Carl Zeiss, Nikon and Leica.)
- Train and develop reseller and customer expertise in the use of Lumencor products, through on-site and web-based interaction.
- Maintain contact with current and new “high-impact” customers.
- Understand biological research applications and be able to provide Lumencor solutions to fulfill researchers’ needs.
- Visit key customers and labs to provide training, installation assistance, and/or present Lumencor products in support of sales.
- Maintain customer records and document all customer and prospect interactions, using SalesForce CRM.
- Assist in meeting and exceeding demanding sales goals and quotas.
- Answer customer questions about products, prices, availability and credit terms.
- Prepare quotations and aid in responses to RFQs and Bids.
- Contact new and existing customers to discuss how specific products or services can meet their needs.
- Maintain an organized working style with visible calendaring and detailed administrative practices for maintaining and forecasting customers and prospects.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Building Customer Loyalty - Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Building Rapport - Seeks out sales opportunities and follows through in learning about contact, initiating communications and building relationships.
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Vitality - Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; sustaining long working hours when necessary; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
- Sales Ability/Persuasiveness - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea from prospects and clients.
- Impact - Creating a good first impression, commanding attention and respect, showing an air of confidence.
- Gaining Commitment - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying ones own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
- Initiative - Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Stress Tolerance - Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
Education Training and Experience
- This position requires a 4-year Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university and experience in life science research or industry.
- Advanced knowledge of optics, lasers, and/or digital microscopy techniques.
- A successful candidate must be familiar with and have the capability to speak intelligently about microscopy, optics, and the practice of sound experimental design.
- The candidate must understand fluorescence microscopy as well as other life science applications that require high performance lighting.
- The candidate must be able to respond to application questions and/or troubleshooting via sketching and talking in an educated, informed manner.
- Up to 50% of employment time spent traveling to support sales efforts.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in your state of residence.
This position has no direct reports
Skills and Abilities
To excel in this position, the ideal candidate should possess complete fluency in English, both in verbal and written communication, and be adept at using English as a professional medium without any constraints. Also, having the ability to converse proficiently in a widely spoken language in the APAC region, like Japanese and/or Mandarin, would be a valuable advantage. They should also have the capability to read, analyze, and interpret various business publications, professional journals, technical documents, and government regulations. Additionally, the candidate should be able to compose reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. They should excel in presenting technical information effectively and responding to inquiries from groups of managers, internal customers, and engineers.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
General Skills and Abilities
Professionalism, Attention to Detail, Critical Thinking, Active Learning, Time Management, Active Listening, Judgement, Decision Making, Inductive and Deductive Reasoning, Problem Sensitivity, and Speech Clarity.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The Sales Engineer will regularly stand, walk, use hands, and reach with hands and arms; regularly sit, talk, and hear; and occasionally climb or balance and stoop or crouch. The Sales Engineer will occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
The Sales Engineer will be required to rely on close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
Work Environment and Conditions
The Sales Engineer will frequently be exposed to outdoor weather conditions and will frequently work near the technical parts of lab and medical equipment.
Due to the nature of the products manufactured at Lumencor, the Sales Engineer may occasionally be exposed to risk of electrical shock, to caustic or harmful chemicals, and to lasers and light wave lengths which are harmful to the eye.
The Sales Engineer will be exposed to moderate noise level; similar to a business office, or light traffic.