Assistant Professor, Neuroscience
The Department of Psychology at Florida Gulf Coast University seeks a candidate in Biopsychology/Neuroscience, broadly defined, including Behavioral, Cognitive, Affective, Social, or Computational Neuroscience for an Assistant Professor position starting in Fall 2024.
Existing areas of strength include vision science, perception, social psychology, decision science, computational neuroscience, evolutionary psychology, developmental psychology, and cognitive science. Candidates whose interests complement those of existing faculty will receive favorable consideration.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses in the concentration in Neuroscience and Cognition, including Brain and Behavior and other existing courses in their subdiscipline, service courses including General Psychology, Research Methods and Survey of Analytical Techniques, and develop new courses in their area of specialization. The successful candidate will work to establish a productive research lab incorporating undergraduates in the research process.
As Assistant Professor of Psychology, you will teach at the undergraduate level, be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned. Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
FGCU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity and Access Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, genetic predisposition, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, veteran status, and any other protected class(es), as required by applicable state and federal law, as well as University regulations and policies.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
• Plans and teaches courses in assigned course.
• Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
• Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
• Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
• Actively serves on university committees.
• Actively participates in institutional meetings.
• Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
• Assists with the development of curriculum.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Additional Job Description
• Ph.D. in Psychology, or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
• ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2024. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
• Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals.
• Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
• Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2024.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida's Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida's Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
• Unofficial Transcripts
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy
• Statement of Research
• Curriculum Vitae
• Cover Letter
• Five (5) Professional References
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by November 30, 2023 will receive priority consideration.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4682343
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.