Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in basic biomedical research. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. Our integrated teams of biologists, computational scientists, and tool-builders pursue a small number of scientific questions with potential for transformative impact. We share our methods, results, and tools with the scientific community. It is a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere that reflects HHMI’s values.
HHMI’s Janelia Research Campus is recruiting Group Leaders to pursue pioneering research in a collaborative and supportive environment. The ideal candidates will have interest in one or more of the following topics: molecular or cellular neuroscience, systems neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, or computational neuroscience. For more information on the Group Leader appointment and research topics, please visit janelia.org/groupleader.
About the role
The Group Leader position offers an opportunity to focus your time, energy, and creativity on what you enjoy doing most — science! We are looking for someone who is ready to start their own lab. We encourage applications from postdocs, graduate students, or early career principal investigators. We also encourage applications from scientists working in industry and individuals who have taken a hiatus from science.
What we Provide
- A competitive compensation package, with comprehensive benefits
- 100% internal funding, with no teaching or grant writing requirements
- A highly collaborative environment with mentorship from senior advisors
- Appointment for up to 10 years with a review at 5 years
- Support teams run by professional staff that provide a range of high-level research services
What you’ll do
- Lead a lab in an inspiring and supportive atmosphere
- Pursue long-term projects through collaborative, interdisciplinary work
- Make progress in your research area through collaboration and mentoring
- Develop new tools, methods, or innovative approaches to study scientific problems in one of our research areas
What you bring
- A Ph.D. in a relevant scientific discipline
- An interest in pursuing scientific questions with potential for transformative impact
Applications must include
- Vision, mentorship, collaboration, and diversity statements
- Up to three publications
- Three letters of reference
We are committed to a culture of inclusion on campus and highly encourage applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds. HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Research shows that underrepresented groups in science are less likely to apply if they don’t feel they meet all the requirements. We highly encourage you to apply even if you don’t feel like you meet every criterion.
Learn more and apply at janelia.org/groupleader.
Compensation and Benefits
Our employees are compensated from a total rewards perspective in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional health benefits, retirement plans, time off, and a range of recognition and wellness programs. Visit our Benefits at HHMI site to learn more.
HHMI applies a non-negotiable salary scale for our Group Leaders. The salary in the initial and subsequent years will be determined by this salary scale, which HHMI adjusts periodically. The salary scale uses third-party benchmark data and reflects transparent and competitive salary rates.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation related to completing the job application. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.