Faculty Positions in Neuroscience
- Claremont McKenna College
- Claremont, California
- Closing date
- Aug 24, 2023
- Undergraduate College
- Job Function
- Faculty Member
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Any Experience Level Considered
Faculty Positions in Neuroscience
Posting ID: 17014
Position Title: Faculty Positions in Neuroscience
Department: Kravis Department of Integrated Sciences
Department URL: https://75.cmc.edu/integrated-sciences/
Claremont McKenna College’s new Kravis Department of Integrated Sciences (KDIS) seeks faculty members at all ranks in the field of neuroscience including, but not limited to, cellular and molecular neuroscience, systems neuroscience, cognitive and behavioral neuroscience, and computational neuroscience.
The KDIS faculty will contribute to building an innovative and transformational undergraduate science program organized around three challenges: Health (Genomics, Systems Biology, and Health), Brain (Brain, Learning, and Decision Sciences), and Planet (Climate, Energy, and the Environment). The KDIS faculty will have a key role in developing and implementing a program that will serve as an incubator for new approaches and foster a culture of inclusion, creativity, and continuous improvement.
Claremont McKenna College is a highly selective undergraduate institution of 1300 students ranked among the top liberal arts colleges nationally. It is part of The Claremont Colleges, which also includes Pomona College, Scripps College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College, Claremont Graduate University, and Keck Graduate Institute. Combined, the members of The Claremont Colleges have more than 6000 students. Claremont is located 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
Currently, the shared Keck Science program offers the science general education and major programs for Pitzer, Scripps, and Claremont McKenna Colleges. On its 75th anniversary, CMC is developing its own Integrated Sciences Department to best serve its students and to provide additional resources for the consortium. This is the most ambitious project in the College’s history. The College is making a $400M investment in the Integrated Sciences Program and will hire approximately 25 new faculty members. In addition, the new iconic $160M Robert Day Sciences Center is being designed by the Bjarkes Ingels Group with anticipated opening in AY 2024-25. The new building will house faculty research lab, instrument facilities, a vivarium, teaching labs, classrooms, faculty offices, and innovative spaces to help foster interactions with students and faculty from across the college.
Among the signature elements of the new program are:
• A general education science curriculum that will be taken by all CMC students regardless of their intended major, seeking to develop scientific literacy, particularly in the life sciences, and using computational and data science approaches as vehicles for discovery;
• A set of robust foundations courses for majors that integrate biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, neuroscience, and computation in creative ways to emphasize the process of scientific discovery and demonstrate important recurring ideas across the sciences;
• New major programs that reflect the department’s themes of health, brain, and planet;
• Collaboration with the College’s social sciences and humanities departments and its unique centers, institutes, and labs to build a program of science in service to society; and
• Rich and ample undergraduate research and project experience.
Procedures and Timetable:
The successful applicant will have:
• A doctorate in a discipline related to this search (e.g., neuroscience, brain science, cognitive science, computer science, or related field).
• Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate science teaching and mentoring of undergraduate students and a commitment to supporting a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students. Given our institutional value of cultivating an inclusive educational environment, we seek candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to teaching, mentoring, and inspiring students representing a broad range of socioeconomic backgrounds, political opinions, genders, races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, and religions.
• Experience in the design and implementation of innovative science curricula including those that use creative approaches and pedagogies, span scientific disciplines, and involve computational and data science methods as vehicles for discovery;
• A strong record of scholarship and ability to meaningfully involve undergraduates in research;
• A commitment to working with colleagues across science disciplines as well as those in the social sciences and the humanities to develop science curricula and programs that serve society;
The KDIS will have access to outstanding resources at the College and opportunities to engage with faculty from across the Claremont Consortium.
Application materials should be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24816 and include the following:
• A cover letter that indicates how the applicant’s background and interests align with the vision of the program and the desired attributes outlined above;
• A curriculum vitae;
• A research statement that addresses the applicant’s areas of scholarship, record of external funding, and past experience and future opportunities with engaging undergraduates in research;
• A teaching statement that addresses the applicant’s interests, experiences, and aspirations in undergraduate science education, curriculum development, mentoring of undergraduates, including efforts to support students from diverse backgrounds;
• Evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g., course evaluations and/or other sources of information);
• The names and email addresses of at least three references who can address the applicant’s experience and effectiveness as an educator and scholar; an email will be automatically sent to them with a link to upload their confidential recommendation letter.
While there are no page limits on any of these materials, the teaching and research statements are intended to be overviews rather than exhaustive lists of activities and two pages are expected to suffice for each of those documents.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis commencing on July 1, 2023 with the search continuing throughout academic year 2023-24 until the positions are filled.
Claremont McKenna College is an equal-opportunity employer. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment, the department actively encourages applications from women and members of historically under-represented social groups in higher education.
Questions may be sent directly to the department chair, Ran Libeskind-Hadas (email@example.com).
Claremont McKenna College hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications, consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Inquiries may be directed to the Director for Human Resources, 528 N. Mills Avenue, Claremont, California 91711-4015, (909) 621-8490. All applicants must complete and submit an online application to be considered for an open position.
Employment is contingent upon new employee providing documents verifying U.S. citizenship or, for aliens, documents verifying legal permission to work in the United States, applicant's acceptability for positions requiring use of a college vehicle is contingent upon a driving record acceptable to the College's automobile liability insurance. Promotion from within is encouraged whenever qualified employees of Claremont McKenna College are available. Interested employees of the College are urged to contact the Director of Human Resources if qualified for any open position. Please do not contact departments directly.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4222428
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert