Postdoctoral Research Scientist
- Fordham University
- New York City, New York
- See Job Description
- Closing date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Undergraduate College
- Job Function
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Entry Level
Postdoctoral Research Scientist
Biological Sciences, Rose Hill
Fordham University has an excellent reputation as a dynamic institution located in New York City. Founded in 1841, Fordham enrolls more than 16,000 undergraduate and graduate students in its 9 Colleges and Schools.
- Fordham University offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to its employees, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. We offer tuition remission for employees and their dependents A generous immediate employer match towards a 403(b) retirement plan. As a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), Fordham is considered a qualifying employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, a federal program designed to forgive student loan debt for employees of certain public and certain nonprofit employers. As part of its work-life balance program, the University provides generous PTO including 15 vacation days, 12 sick days, 2 personal days, 6 summer Fridays, and holidays that include paid time off between Christmas and New year. University employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). EAP provides no-cost, professional, and confidential services, to help employees and family members address a variety of personal, family, life, and work-related issues.
Dr. Eduardo Gallo is seeking a postdoctoral research scientist to study the neurobiological basis of motivated behavior and its implications for neuropsychiatric disorders. Using the mouse as a model system, the lab combines behavioral analysis with neuropharmacological and cell-targeted experimental approaches, including fiber photometry, optogenetics, chemogenetics, slice electrophysiology, as well as gene expression analysis and fluorescence microscopy.
The successful candidate will contribute to a new NIH-funded project studying the role of ventral striatal acetylcholine and its modulation by dopamine in different forms of impulsive behavior. This is a 3-year position, grant-funded position. Continuation is contingent upon continued grant funding.
The Gallo Lab, located within the beautiful Rose Hill Campus of Fordham University in the Bronx, is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for mouse behavior and neural circuitry analysis. Our lab team consists of talented graduate and undergraduate students and technical staff, providing research assistance as well as opportunities for mentoring and project management. Besides interactions with faculty in the Departments of Biological Sciences, Psychology and Computer Science, our lab maintains productive collaborations with neuroscience labs at nearby NYC institutions.
The successful candidate will receive dedicated mentorship, and career development efforts will be encouraged and supported.
- Design and execution of experiments
- Data analysis and interpretation, manuscript preparation, conference presentations.
- Mouse handling, stereotaxic brain surgery, behavioral testing (operant and other), fiber photometry, optogenetics, and other techniques.
- Brain harvesting and processing, immunofluorescence microscopy and in situ hybridization.
- Participation in lab meetings and other collaborative efforts
- PhD in Neuroscience or related field and a track record of publications
- Strong basic neuroscience research background
- Previous experience working with mice
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Willingness and ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team and to mentor students
- Experience using cell-targeted approaches to study neural circuitry in vivo
- Experience in mouse operant behavior and neuroanatomy
- Programming skills in python or Matlab
- Analytical skills in neurophysiology, calcium imaging/fiber photometry, and behavioral data
Minimum Starting Salary: $58,500
Maximum Starting Salary: $60,000
Note: Salary is commensurate with qualifications, experience, and skills.
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
START DATE: ASAP
APPLY HERE: https://careers.fordham.edu/postings/4493
Founded in 1841, Fordham is the Jesuit University of New York, offering an exceptional education distinguished by the Jesuit tradition to more than 16,000 students in its 9 colleges and schools. It has residential campuses in the Bronx and Manhattan, a campus in West Harrison, N.Y., the Louis Calder Center Biological Field Station in Armonk, N.Y., and the London Centre in the United Kingdom. Successful candidates should have a knowledge of and commitment to the goals of Jesuit Education.
Fordham University is committed to excellence through diversity and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds.
Fordham is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert