Senior Faculty Specialist - DLAR Imaging Core
- University of Maryland at College Park, Department of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR)
- University of Maryland, College Park
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Feb 22, 2023
- Graduate School or University
- Job Function
- Faculty Member
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Summary/Purpose of Position: The University of Maryland, Department of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) is seeking a skilled scientist to manage operations of the imaging core in the A. James Clark Hall vivarium, a new facility at the University of Maryland, College Park. This core facility consists of multimodal imaging equipment and a state of the art surgical suite. Equipment currently includes a Bruker CT/PET/SPECT unit, Vevo 3100 ultrasound unit, IVIS spectrum imaging system, Olympus multiphoton microscope, Mobile C-Arm X-ray unit, and X-rad 320 irradiator.
This position will be responsible for all imaging core operations, helping to guide the research strategy for imaging projects, managing the imaging core technical staff, and performing administrative tasks in support of the core imaging facility. This is a faculty non-tenured position paid on a twelve-month basis and the incumbent will work closely with the Director of the Imaging Core, who serves as the direct supervisor, and with the University Attending Veterinarian/Director, DLAR to ensure compliance with all Federal, State and local statutes relating to research animal use. The responsibilities for this appointment will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Imaging Core: Set up and launch the DLAR Imaging Core and leverage specialized research expertise to support and enhance campus research projects related to live animal imaging:
- Establish technical expertise in the underlying theory, research application, and specific operating mechanisms for all imaging core equipment including a diverse portfolio of imaging modalities
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Nuclear medicine imaging (including positron-emission tomography (PET))
- Fluorescent & chemiluminescent imaging
- Multiphoton microscopy
- Meet with investigators during planning meetings to discuss imaging study needs, procedures, and logistics
- Provide consultation and experimental design expertise to campus researchers utilizing the imaging core
- Interface with potential researchers to design pilot studies and obtain proof-of concept supporting data
- Assist with data analysis of data generated utilizing imaging core equipment.
- Work with researchers and DLAR to understand future needs and purchases for the imaging core
Managing all day-to-day aspects of the DLAR imaging core research infrastructure and instrumentation:
- Ensuring normal operation of core research instruments
- Supervise imaging core technical staff
- Performing calibration and repair of core research instruments.
- Consulting with vendors for application support and system upgrade
- Coordinate shared resource usage and documentation, including scheduling, billing, and maintenance.
- Oversight of the imaging core facilities website and marketing of the imaging facility to campus and potentially external research community.
- Manage budget, maintenance contracts, purchases, and vendor repairs to support imaging core instrumentation and core operations
- Managing access to and training for equipment and usage logs
- Manage safety protocols, documentation, safety audits, and waste disposal records
DLAR Support and other duties as assigned :
- Ensure that all animal-related work is performed in accordance with the investigators’ approved Animal Study Proposals (ASP) as well as all DLAR, Environmental Safety, Sustainability and Risk (ESSR), AAALAC, state and federal guidelines.
- Assist in the development of sanitation protocols and animal biosecurity protocols to ensure health status of animals entering and leaving the imaging core is not compromised
- Assist DLAR staff as requested by Imaging Core Director and Attending Veterinarian particularly as it relates to standard operating procedures and program development relevant to the imaging core.
- Train DLAR staff on imaging core equipment and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert