Visit us for consideration and questions
Interested in our Post Doc opportunities at our SfN Interview Booth.
3:00 to 4:00PM Monday, November 14th
Interview Booth 4
The Sleep Neurobiology Laboratory at SRI International, located in the beautiful San Francisco Bay Area adjacent to Silicon Valley, has an opening for a Postdoctoral Fellow with a background in cellular neurophysiology or integrative neuroscience and expertise in neural circuit studies. The Fellow will work with a team of Research Scientists and technical staff to investigate the properties of neuronal cell types involved in sleep/wake control, their interconnections, and their roles in the neural circuits underlying arousal state control and in the sleep disorder narcolepsy. Cortical nNOS/NK1 neurons (Williams et al., 2019, Cerebral Cortex 29:1090-1108), TAAR1 (Black et al., 2017, Biol Psychiatry 82:623-633), hypothalamic hypocretin/orexin and MCH neurons (Izawa et al., 2019, Science 365:1308-13) and the sleep disorder narcolepsy are of particular interest. Opportunities exist to collaborate with scientists involved in drug discovery.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Whole-cell brain slice electrophysiological recordings
- Optogenetic, pharmacogenetic, neuroanatomical approaches for manipulation of neuronal activity
- In vivo recording of brain activity using electrophysiology, fiber photometry and/or microendoscopy
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments to investigate the function of specific cell types
- Work with others to develop a pipeline for large-scale, systematic characterization of the physiological and connectional properties of different neuronal cell types
- Work with others to develop paradigms to correlate physiological, morphological and molecular properties within a single neuron
- Seek and evaluate new cutting-edge technologies in related areas
- Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences
- Present progress reports to fellow researchers in the laboratory and larger organization
There is a career path from Postdoctoral Fellow to Research Scientist at SRI. Appointment at either level confers eligibility for Principal Investigator privileges.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Ph.D. or M.D. in a life science or related discipline with minimum 0-3 years post-PhD experience
- (We will also consider candidates for Research Scientist: Ph.D. or M.D. in a life science or related discipline with >3 years post-PhD experience)
- Working experience in neurobiology research
- Experience in brain slice electrophysiology and synaptic physiology and/or
- Experience with use of viral vectors, stereotaxic surgery and optogenetics/chemogenetics/fiber photometry/ microendoscopy/neuroanatomy
- Strong data analysis skills and publication record
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines and deliverables
- Strong commitment to collaborative teamwork
- Excellent problem solving and experiment managing skills
Salary ranges for this role will vary and are based on several factors, including geographic location, market competitiveness and equity amongst internal employees in similar roles. SRI has a competitive benefits package, to view details please go to: https://www.sri.com/resources/benefits/. SRI International, an over 75-year strong pioneering research institute, has a rich history supporting government and industry. Our innovations have created new industries, billions of dollars in market value and lasting benefits to society. SRI is organized around broad disciplines and capabilities, with research and development divisions and labs to groups who excel at identifying new opportunities, developing products and creating custom solutions. Our organization is driven by impact - delivering unique solutions for the world's important challenges and transforming ideas into reality for clients and partners.
Apply for this job online
Share on your newsfeed
Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment will be subject to a background check.
SRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
At SRI we value different identities, perspectives and experiences. A diverse, equitable and inclusive working environment strengthens our ability to create world-changing solutions that make people safer, healthier and more productive.