We are looking for a highly motivated person to join our team as a Researcher at the Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience, Faculty for Medicine and Health Sciences, NTNU in Trondheim, Norway from November 2022 onward.
The successful candidate will be offered a contract for 2 years with the possibility for renewal.
The Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience is part of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at NTNU. It was established as a Centre of Excellence in 2002 and designated as a Kavli Foundation Institute in 2007 (www.kavlifoundation.org).
The scientific goal of the Institute is to increase the understanding of neural circuits and systems along with their role in generating psychological functions.
Through our widespread network of international collaboration, we offer unique career opportunities. For further information, see: www.ntnu.edu/kavli.
Your immediate leader is Associate Professor Jonathan Whitlock.
Duties of the position
The Whitlock group (https://www.whitlocklab.org/) at the Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience (https://www.ntnu.edu/kavli) has an opening for the right candidate who is specializes in computation and data visualization. The position will see the development of novel tools for analyzing and visualizing neural tuning to eye and whisker movements, in addition to 3D posture, in freely moving rats. This line of work represents a major push beyond the status quo in the field, and is redefining the limits of what is possible to measure in behavioral neurophysiology.
The candidate should be creative and highly motivated to perform data visualization at the intersection of neurophysiology and advanced tracking methods. The project will advance the group’s recent work measuring neural tuning to body posture (Science, 2018, bioRxiv, 2022), with the aim of understanding quantitatively how animals use active sensation to guide 3D behavior. The position will interface between the Whitlock group and that of Assoc. Prof. Benjamin Dunn in the NTNU mathematics department, with whom we collaborate on statistics and machine learning.
Required selection criteria
As a Reseacher 1108:
- Completion of a master’s degree or secondary degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in computational neuroscience, physics, mathematics, computer science or equivalent education.
As a Researcher 1109:
- Ph.D in related field in relation to the qualifications specified in the advertisement
For both position:
- Strong familiarity with Python and/or Matlab
- It is imperative that the candidate is able to communicate effectively in English, both orally and written.
- Good written and oral English and Norwegian language skills
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience with quantitative tracking of animal or human behavior
- Experience with data visualization software, e.g. Jython, Fiji
- Experience in statistics and/or computational modeling
- Motivation for the position and to work with a team of neurophysiologists
In the evaluation, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability in relation to the qualifications specified in the advertisement. We will place great emphasis on the candidate’s motivation for the position in addition to:
- strong personal initiative, self-motivation and work ethic
- the ability to work collaboratively to accomplish common research goals
- being solution-oriented, able to solve problems independently
- responding to direction & research strategy
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of Reseacher (code 1108) is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 454 200,- to 574 700,- before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority.
The gross salary for the position of Reseacher (code 1109) is normally remunerated at gross from NOK 534 400,- to 677 600,- before tax per year, depending on qualifications and seniority.
For the best qualified candidate, salary can be discussed depending on qualifications and seniority.
From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund,
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and two reference letters.
Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above. If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- Information about education background and work experience.
- A short research statement explaining the experience and motivation of the candidate for the research topic and describing the relevance of the candidate’s background to the research project (maximum 1 page).
- Any relevant publications. Joint work should have a brief explanation of the applicant's contribution attached.
- Certified copies of relevant transcripts and diplomas. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway which describes in detail the program of study, the grading system, and the rights to further studies associated with the degree obtained. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI): http://www.chsi.com.cn/en/).
- Contact information for the candidate’s references.
- Should it be deemed necessary, documentation of proficiency in the English language (equivalent to a TOEFL score of 600 or more).
Joint work will also be considered. If it is difficult to identify your specific input to a joint project, you must include evidence of your contributions.
In the assessment of the best qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also consider experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Jonathan Whitlock, telephone +47 4516 4390, email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR-Consultant Anne Karin Henning, e-mail: email@example.com
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no (IDsearch 233649) with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 27.11.2022