160 Fifth Avenue
The Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative (SFARI) is looking for a scientist to join our team to help shape and manage our growing research portfolio, which includes over 300 scientists engaged in investigator-initiated research in autism spanning a wide range including genetics/genomics, developmental biology, molecular and cell biology, circuit and systems neuroscience, and clinical studies. The new scientist will also help to manage a number of SFARI targeted projects, including cohorts and resources for the research community , as well as participate in discussions that shape SFARI's future priorities. Title and initial responsibilities will be commensurate with experience. This position is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City, and travel to conferences is expected.
- Help manage requests for applications (RFAs). This includes drafting relevant calls for grant applications, participating in internal decision processes and planning and leading scientific peer-review panels.
- Evaluate and manage a number of research grants to external investigators. This includes soliciting and evaluating progress reports, and interacting directly with investigators virtually and in person.
- Participate in and organize SFARI workshops with an aim of refining SFARI's priorities and developing new initiatives.
- Stay abreast of the field of autism research and related fields by reading the relevant scientific literature and by attending relevant external scientific seminars and meetings in the United States and abroad.
- Attend relevant scientific seminars, workshops and courses hosted by the Simons Foundation, inclusive of the Flatiron Institute.
- Engage in strategic thinking and planning aimed at advancing SFARI's mission. This includes setting scientific priorities, designing strategies to increase inclusive excellence in autism research and to advance scientific collaboration and data sharing, and identifying opportunities to partner with other organizations.
- Contribute content to SFARI.org, including pieces about SFARI priorities, viewpoints on the state of the field, etc.
- When appropriate, contribute to the peer-reviewed scientific literature on topics related to SFARI's mission.
- Perform other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- A Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree is required.
- Strong scientific background in a field relevant for scientific investigations of autism such as genetics/genomics, molecular, cellular, developmental, structural or computational biology; circuit or systems neuroscience; or cognitive psychology.
- Priority will be given to those with postdoctoral experience plus additional relevant work experience outside of a laboratory setting.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Ability to think broadly and critically about scientific problems and experimental approaches
- Integrity and strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral)
- Resilience in making tough decisions
- Strong commitment to enhancing scientific understanding of autism and brain science
- A collaborative spirit and commitment to positive team culture
- A commitment to inclusive excellence
- A commitment to open science
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- The full-time annual compensation range for this position is $115,000 - $220,000. Depending on experience, the level for this position will be Scientist or Senior Scientist.
- In addition to competitive salaries, the Simons Foundation provides employees with an outstanding benefits package.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/V8Wb4Ohk6Lb7pCnLWt4M6W