A postdoctoral position is available for a highly motivated candidate to join the Epigenetics and System Neuroscience laboratory headed by Dr. Carla Nasca at Nathan Kline Psychiatric Institute and NYU School of Medicine in New York. The collaborative, intellectually stimulating work environment at NKI and NYUSoM is an invaluable resource to conduct bold, innovative and creative science.
Our laboratory uses cutting-edge technologies, including genetic, molecular, circuit and computational (e.g., machine learning) tools combined single-cell big-data approaches. Our lab is also developing a platform for isolation of specific exosomes from rodent and human models.
We are working on an innovative model of epigenetic mechanisms of neuroplasticity to stress with a new angle on the role of mitochondrial metabolism. Key to this framework is the pivotal mitochondrial metabolite L-acetyl-carnitine or LAC, which we discovered as a novel epigenetic modulator of glutamatergic function in key brain circuits and a promising therapeutic target for clinical phenotypes of depression.
This growing framework provided the basis for exciting collaborations with colleagues in other renowned institutions to identify novel mechanisms of brain plasticity in the rapid and lasting responses to transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
- Ph.D. or Ph.D./MD degree. Preferred degrees in Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Biomedical Sciences, Psychology, Psychiatry, Neurology or related fields
- Experience in molecular and biochemical techniques, such qPCR, Western blot and immunofluorescence
- Familiar with next generation sequencing approaches, bioinformatics and computational tools (e.g., machine learning)
- Experience in rodent experiments in some of these areas: stereotaxic surgery, in vivo gene manipulations, CRISPR/shRNAs, fiber photometry, calcium imaging, behavioral tests
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, ability to work in an interdisciplinary & collaborative team
- Motivation & passion for Neuroscience is a must
To apply, please send your CV, a cover letter with your research interests and names of two or three contacts for reference letters to Dr. Carla Nasca at firstname.lastname@example.org