The laboratory of Dr. Aryn Gittis (https://labs.bio.cmu.edu/gittis/) in the Department of Biological Sciences at Carnegie Mellon University is seeking candidates for a full-time Lab Manager/Research Associate III. The Gittis lab studies the neural basis of movement, with an emphasis on neural circuits in the basal ganglia and how these circuits become impaired in Parkinson’s disease. The candidate will be responsible for administrative support for the lab (mouse colony supervision and management, ordering, safety and compliance documentation) as well as running and crafting experiments.
The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross subject areas. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences. MCS faculty members are nationally and internationally recognized for their research in various fields, including polymer science, cosmology, mathematical finance, and molecular and cellular biology.
Responsibilities will include:
- Independently design experiments and protocols.
- Maintain and genotyping of a mouse colony.
- Identifying problems and obstacles to progress; developing strategies to solve problems.
- Researching and documenting information by compiling and maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Summarize statistical information for analysis, presentation and written technical reports.
- Supervising and leading lab maintenance, including compliance with chemical and lab safety regulations.