Call for candidates
Professor in neuroinflammation, Université de Sherbrooke
Posting period: May 19, 2022 to June 30, 2022, 5 PM
JOB DESCRIPTION: Professor
LOCATION: Health Campus
ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT: Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Department of Pediatrics
SCHEDULE: tenure-track assistant professor
The Université de Sherbrooke is seeking applicants for a tenure-track assistant professor position in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences’ Department of Pediatrics. Required expertise is in the field of neonatal/pediatric cerebral neuroinflammation. The Department of Pediatrics invites interested candidates to apply for an assistant professor position
About the Faculty
Basic, applied and clinical research are key strengths of our institution. The Université de Sherbrooke Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences enjoys a first-class reputation thanks to its educational innovations, its constant adaptation to society’s changing needs and to the success of its world-class research teams. It stands out among the international elite as the only faculty in Canada and the only Francophone faculty in the world to be designated a World Health Organization Collaborating Centre on Health Science Education and Practice.
About the Department
The Pediatrics Department has 74 professors, including 10 recognized research teams led by clinical investigators or fundamental researchers. Members of the department teach in the MD program and the graduate programs in Immunology, Physiology, Health Sciences, Radiation/Imaging Sciences and Biochemistry. The ongoing construction of the new mother-child care centre will soon provide the ideal conditions for the transfer of knowledge in areas ranging from preclinical research to pediatric patients.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with expertise in basic sciences who are able to carry out innovative research programs in the field of cerebral neuroinflammation applied to neonatology and pediatrics. The Department of Pediatrics is especially eager to bridge the gap between research in neonatal respiratory pathologies—which represents a 40-year-old tradition—and research centres in neuroscience, imaging and physiology. The availability of ovine models, which is unique to Canada, is a major asset in the development of a research theme in neonatal and pediatric neuroinflammation, as ovine models allow for faithful reproduction of the care provided to newborns and infants in the context of intensive care.
The successful candidate must establish and maintain an independent, externally funded research program and obtain salary support from external sources (e.g. FRQS). The successful candidate must collaborate actively with researchers in the Department of Pediatrics, especially with the ovine research team. The candidate is also expected to collaborate with researchers from the Université de Sherbrooke Centre of Excellence for Maternal-Child Research—a key theme of which is neurodevelopment—and with members of the Université de Sherbrooke Centre of Excellence for Neurosciences. Collaborations may also be developed with researchers from the Department of Immunology and Cell Biology and the Sherbrooke Molecular Imaging Centre. These internationally recognized groups constitute ideal settings for the development of an active and innovative research program and strong leadership in the field of cerebral neuroinflammation on the national and international stages. All Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences researchers have access to state-of-the-art scientific equipment and to an interdisciplinary research environment.
The successful candidate must teach at all undergraduate and graduate levels. Knowledge of French, or a commitment to learn the language in the short term, is essential.
- Teach at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Supervise graduate students.
- Develop basic and applied research activities, maintain a competitive externally funded research program, and obtain salary support (scholarship/fellowship) from provincial and/or national programs.
- Take part in university life.
- Contribute to community service.
- Hold a PhD and/or MD degree in cerebral neuroinflammation.
- Have at least three (3) years of postdoctoral experience.
- Teach and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Have cutting-edge expertise in the fields indicated above.
- Have a keen interest for and be highly skilled in teaching, university pedagogy, research, development, and innovation.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities, initiative and an outstanding ability to communicate and effectively and harmoniously interact with various internal and external partners.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead graduate students.
- Have a publication record testifying to the excellence of the researcher’s file in the field identified above.
- Demonstrate skills in establishing and maintaining good interpersonal relations, a collaborative spirit and teamwork skills.
- Ability to teach in French, or to rapidly achieve the ability to do so (2 years).
- The working conditions are governed by the collective agreement in effect between the University and the Association des professeures et professeurs de la Faculté de médecine de l’Université de Sherbrooke (APPFMUS).
- Regular full-time tenure-track position.
- Anticipated start date: 2023.
Equity, diversity and inclusion
The Université de Sherbrooke (UdeS) values equity, diversity, equality and inclusion in employment within its community and invites all qualified individuals to apply, particularly women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities in compliance with the Quebec Act respecting equal access to employment in public bodies. The screening and assessment tools can be adapted according to the needs of persons with disabilities who request them, and this, in complete confidentiality. The Université de Sherbrooke also encourages people of all sexual orientations and gender identities to apply. Priority will be given to Canadians and permanent residents. Learn more about equity, diversity and inclusion at UdeS: https://www.usherbrooke.ca/decouvrir/a-propos/equite-diversite-inclusion/
Check our website then submit your application online. For this opportunity, see offer 05559.
Direct link: https://www.usherbrooke.ca/emplois/offre/no/05559
The deadline for submitting applications is 5 p.m. on June 30, 2022.
Review of applications will begin no later than July 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
- A full curriculum vitae.
- A short research proposal (maximum 2 pages).
In addition, please send three (3) letters of recommendation, directly from the signatories, to the following address:
Frédéric Dallaire MD PhD
Directeur du centre de recherche mère-enfant de l’université de Sherbrooke
Job posting 05559
Département de pédiatrie
Faculté de médecine et des sciences de la santé Université de Sherbrooke
3001, 12eme avenue nord
J1H5N4 – Sherbrooke
QC – Canada
Direct link: https://www.usherbrooke.ca/emplois/offre/no/05559
English version: https://www.usherbrooke.ca/emplois/fileadmin/sites/emplois/offres_anglais/05559_prof_in_neuroinflammation.pdf