ERA Chair holder
- Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology
- Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology - University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
- Salary indexes 285 to 330 under the Portuguese law (from 66,464 € per year)
- Closing date
- Mar 25, 2022
- Graduate School or University, Non-profit Institution / Non-governmental Org.
- Job Function
- Group Leader (Research)
- Position Type
- Full Time
- Senior Level
ERA Chair holder Position in Systems Neuroscience at the Centre for Neuroscience and Cell Biology – University of Coimbra (CNC – UC)
Job title: DYNABrain ERA Chair
Job location: CNC – UC, Coimbra, Portugal
Salary range: salary indexes 285 to 330 under the Portuguese law (from 66,464 € per year)
Application deadline: March 31st 2022
Website for application: https://dynabrain.cnc.uc.pt/
Project title: Dynamic Brain Function: towards the understanding and treatment of brain disorders (DYNABrain)
Type: WIDESPREAD-06-2020 - ERA Chairs
Research field: Systems Neuroscience/Neuroscience
Career stage: Leading Researcher (R4-level profile)
Nature of the Job: Full-time employment
Who we are
CNC-Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology is a leading, internationally recognized research institute that fosters high-level biomedical research and multidisciplinary graduate training at the University of Coimbra. It is one of the research centres of excellence in Portugal and the largest research institute in the Center region of Portugal. CNC provides a dynamic and stimulating research environment and supports truly innovative research and professional development. CNC is also recognized by the high quality of the students that we train.
Research at CNC is divided in three scientific areas: Neuroscience & Disease, Ageing and Innovative Therapies. Current research conducted by the Neuroscience groups at CNC investigates brain function, dysfunction and therapies for brain diseases.
The University of Coimbra is a world leading university, widely recognised for the high quality of its graduate programmes, and is among the major science and technology hubs for fundamental and applied research in Portugal. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, given its architecture, unique culture and traditions, and historical role.
Coimbra affords the opportunity to live in a tranquil city with an affordable cost of living and a high quality of life. It combines a deep cultural heritage with a young, modern, safe and vibrant environment, as well as excellent access to education and health services.
What we offer
- A full-time employment contract as Research Coordinator (equivalent to Full Professor), the highest-level in the Portuguese research career path, for the entire life span of the project, with the possibility to attain a tenured position at CNC - UC following positive evaluation at the end of the project.
- An attractive salary from 66,464 € per year (index range 285 to 330, under the Portuguese law), pension scheme, medical assistance coverage, and payed holidays.
- A start-up package, on top of the salary, of ca. 1.35 million euros for human resources (5 PhD holders), equipment and reagents.
- Autonomy to select the team members and assistance of a Project Manager;
- Ample independent laboratory and office space in modern facilities;
- Funding for the team to attend national and international conferences, organise seminars, and for inviting excellent scientists to deliver lectures/talks at CNC – UC.
- Full access to all CNC and UC-shared core facilities;
- Assistance with the practical aspects of the integration process.
- Excellent opportunity for career development and a stimulating international working environment.
- Access to UC services.
Main duties of the ERA Chair
- To implement a new interdisciplinary research line in the field of Systems Neuroscience;
- To assemble and manage a multi-disciplinary team of five members, incorporating experimental and computational expertise to develop systems neuroscience projects;
- To perform high quality research in the area of Systems Neuroscience;
- To widen and consolidate a Neuroscience-driven R&I network at CNC;
- To apply for national and international funds for research activities and infrastructure;
- To design and coordinate an International Doctoral Programme in Integrative Neuroscience;
- To disseminate research results through high quality publications, participation in conferences, workshops and seminars, as well as hosting courses and seminars.
The ideal ERA-Chair candidate should be an outstanding researcher in the field of Systems Neuroscience with proven track record in line with the level of responsibility (R4), as follows:
- Holding a PhD in Neurosciences, Systems Neuroscience, or equivalent for 5+ years;
- Excellent scientific track record demonstrated through the quality and relevance of the publications;
- Proven leadership abilities to recruit and coordinate a scientific team with high-quality researchers, demonstrated through at least five-year experience as group/team leader;
- Capacity to attract and supervise talented post-graduate students and participation in advanced training programs, namely at the doctoral level;
- Networking skills demonstrated through the scientific relevance of the international collaborations;
- Track-record in obtaining competitive research funding to secure funding for her/his own activities as a group leader, shown through a high level of fundraising;
- Scientific management expertise, as demonstrated through the candidate’s leading role in managing research projects, participation in governing bodies and/or ability to translate research findings into solutions.
Selection of the best candidate will be accomplished in two stages. In the first stage, candidates will be ranked on the basis of the following criteria:
Detailed CV (60%): the evaluation will be based on the quality and relevance of the publications, leadership abilities and management expertise (30%), as well as the capacity to attract and supervise talented post-graduate students, participation in advanced training, track-record in obtaining competitive research funding and networking skills (30%);
Motivation for the area of Systems Neuroscience and description of the 4-year research plan to promote Systems Neuroscience (10%).
The top candidates will be invited for a second-stage face-to-face interview (30%). If impractical, interviews will be held online. During this process, the candidate will be invited to give a seminar at CNC (travel costs will be covered).
Deadline for applications – preference will be given to applications received before March 31st, 2022. The position will stay open until filled.
Announcement of the results for the 1st round – April 30th, 2022
Interviews will take place between – May 15th and May 31th, 2022
Deadline to inform the candidates of the final outcome – June 15th, 2022
Effective start of duties at CNC –July to September 2022
Prof. Ana Luísa Carvalho (Chair), Prof. Carlos B. Duarte, Prof. Carmen Sandi, Prof. Guoping Feng, Prof. Luís P. Almeida and Dr. Rosa Cossart.
How to apply
Application for the position should contain the following documents in English:
- Curriculum vitae, including:
- Complete list of publications in the area of Neuroscience highlighting top five articles and how they contribute to the field (include the top 5 articles within the application);
- Bibliometric indicators: total number of citations and h-index;
- Invited talks at relevant international scientific meetings;
- Relevant national and/or international grants/projects where the candidate was the main investigator or project coordinator;
- Detailed description of the experience in management of laboratory/ department/ faculty/ research institute, research teams;
- Comprehensive list of mentoring and supervision activities;
3.A brief research plan with a 4-year work plan proposal to promote Systems Neuroscience;
4.Contact information for three references.
All the above documents should be submitted, compiled to a single file, on DYNABrain website. Informal inquiries related to the position, if any, should be addressed to: email@example.com. Note: incomplete applications will be excluded from the selection process.
In accordance with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data (RGPD) and Law no. 58/2019 of 8 August, the person responsible for the processing of personal data of the candidates collected under this tender procedure is the Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology (CNC). The CNC ensures that personal data collected on a physical or digital medium, and whatever its nature, will be handled responsibly for recruitment purposes only, through appropriate policies and measures to prevent access and misuse and possible intrusions, minimizing risks and contributing to their security. The CNC does not provide or allow access to personal data by third parties except for the purpose of fulfilling duly justified legal obligations. The personal data collected will be kept for a maximum of 6 months, counting from the end of the legal retention period provided for the procedure. At any time, the interested party may contact the CNC at firstname.lastname@example.org to request information about the processing of personal data or to exercise the legally established rights.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert