The Department of Anesthesiology honors its remarkable history and embraces the spirit of discovery and evolution. The Vice Chair for Research for the Department of Anesthesiology will provide leadership, strategic direction, and operational oversight to the department’s research programs and activities with a focus on the growth and sustainability of the department’s research portfolio.
As part of our leadership team, the Vice Chair for Research will be responsible for implementing the strategic research mission objectives of the Department of Anesthesiology, the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) and Froedtert Hospital. The Vice Chair will work with research and clinical faculty, both new and established, to ensure that all are involved in the mission of the Department to increase faculty engagement and anticipate promotion. The Vice Chair reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, while leading a team that includes the Directors of the Basic, Clinical and Data-Based Research Divisions. Candidates involved in research broadly related to anesthesiology will be considered.
This position offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, 2 weeks of CME and professional development allowance, outstanding employer-funded health and retirement plan, dependent child college reimbursement program, generous relocation allowance, and paid parental leave. Resources will be provided to not only support the candidate’s research, but also to enhance development of laboratory, clinical and data science within the Department of Anesthesiology.
Role of Vice Chair for Research
- Promoting the growth and sustainability of funded research activities, actively seeking, and promoting opportunities to grow resources to support and diversify the research portfolio
- Assisting in the recruitment, selection and appointment of research faculty
- Serving as a resource in guiding the development of faculty projects, funding, and careers
- Reviewing current annual Department of Anesthesiology research funding of $5M with the goal of increasing the amount and diversity of total grant funding over the next 5 years
- Creating an environment of professionalism, inclusion, collegiality, and respect
- Increasing national visibility of research in the Department of Anesthesiology through enhanced clinical, data-based, and bench research achievements
- Serving as the representative and champion of the department’s research activities.
- Ensuring that research missions are integrated and coordinated with clinical services, education, and community outreach activities, both within and across departments, serving as a liaison to MCW’s Office of Research and the Associate Chief of Staff at the VA
- Serving as a direct supervisor for research-related activities of faculty and staff, while working with team members to set research program performance goals and individual goals
- Promoting financial stewardship and excellence of research programs
- Monitoring quality and quantity of faculty research, grant, and publication activity, as well as other metrics related to research program success
- Collaborating with leadership to establish performance measures, assess and evaluate research programs to ensure effective delivery of ongoing or proposed research
- M.D, Ph.D., or both degrees
- Leadership, organizational, and communication skills as well as a demonstrated ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed environment
- Strong managerial skills developing operational effectiveness, advising on research priorities, strategic planning, funding needs, IRB submission, and budgeting
- High research productivity as evidenced by a strong record of extramural grant funding and peer-reviewed publications along with teaching and mentoring experience sufficient to merit appointment as an associate professor at a minimum
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative research relationships
- Experience working with health systems is preferred
- Experience with philanthropic development for research is preferred
Anesthesiology Department, Froedtert Hospital & Medical College of Wisconsin
The Department of Anesthesiology at MCW includes 120 clinical faculty members, approximately 90 certified nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologist assistants, 10 active research faculty members, 66 residents and 17 fellows in pediatric anesthesia, cardiac anesthesia, obstetric anesthesia, critical care, regional acute pain, and pain medicine. The Department aims to attract the very best personnel by creating a collegial, intellectually exciting, and supportive environment, and is committed to recruiting, advancing, and retaining the most diverse and outstanding faculty.
MCW and Froedtert Hospital are at the forefront of innovative technology and care in many areas, including cancer, heart and vascular diseases, brain injury and disorders, spinal cord injury, transplant, communication disorders, digestive diseases, diabetes, orthopedics, urology, and women’s health. A 735-bed hospital, Froedtert, has the only adult Level 1 Trauma Center in eastern Wisconsin. All physicians practicing at Froedtert Hospital are MCW faculty members and share the college academic mission.
At the core of everything we do at the MCW is the pursuit of new knowledge and enhancing the power of academic medicine. Bringing together the world’s top scientists and clinicians, inspired students, and invested communities, we are driven to solve the most complex challenges in health and society. MCW is home to a diverse group of thought leaders collaborating to build a healthier world and a continuous cycle of life-changing knowledge, including more than 1,500 students in the Medical, Graduate, and Pharmacy Schools, over 900 physicians in residency and fellowship programs, and approximately 1,650 physicians, 750 nurse practitioners, physician assistants and other practitioners.
Located along the Lake Michigan shoreline, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is one of America’s great cities, combining a dynamic urban community with a rich cultural heritage with access to parks, rivers, and other outdoor recreation. Just 80 miles north of Chicago, Milwaukee is the largest city in Wisconsin. Milwaukee is recognized for its museums, fine dining, professional sports, gardens, and parks.
People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The Medical College of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Interested individuals should contact: Kelli Cameron, Director, Provider Recruitment & Onboarding