The Neurotechnology Core at Yale’s Kavli Institute for Neuroscience seeks a full-time Neuro-engineer. The mission of this core is to expand research capabilities through instrumentation support, design, and fabrication for the Yale neuroscience community.
The Neurotechnology Core works closely with Investigators and trainees to understand their experimental needs, which span multiple disciplines including biology, computer-controlled data acquisition, electronic design, robotics, machine vision, and optics. Our work is carried out in a state-of-the-art fabrication facility that also serves as a maker space where we train investigators to do their own instrument design and fabrication.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and intellectually stimulating environment. They will be skilled at translating research problems into well-defined technical specifications to design and build a functional instrument. They will have excellent interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for collaborating closely with a diverse research community. The candidate will work with the guidance of a supervisor but must be able to operate independently.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet with investigators to define experimental instrumentation needs and develop practical solutions
- Train investigators to safely and effectively utilize facility equipment
- Design and fabricate custom instrumentation
- Document projects and communicate progress to investigators and Director
- Assist Director in maintaining facility safety and compliance
- Other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree in Engineering, Neurobiology, or related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in fabricating hardware, electronic, or software prototypes. An advanced degree may substitute for extensive experience.
- Ability to think critically and develop innovative solutions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- CNC machining experience: mill, lathe, water jet, laser cutter, and woodworking tools
- Programming Skills (C, C++, Python, Matlab, LabVIEW, microcontroller programming)
- Ability to design and diagnose electronic circuits
Please submit a cover letter, CV and three reference letters to: https://apply.interfolio.com/97069 Applications will be reviewed as they are received and until the position is filled with priority given to those applications received by December 20th, 2021.