Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Responsible for the organization, management, and business performance of the Medical Device – New Product Development department including the financial, operational, and growth performance of the department; Develops and implements strategic business and market plans which contribute to the group's overall operating results through financial management of gross business volume, capital equipment and operating budgets; engages in business development and sales and sustains client base with active networking. Maintain and develop a workforce of leading-tier dedicated medical device professionals.
This department is hired by external companies from startups to Fortune 100 to assist them with their medical device product development needs. Clients choose to work with us because of a proven track record for developing innovative and marketable solutions to challenging technical problems. This has included projects for mass produced medication delivery devices, immunodiagnostic systems, surgery tools, large scale imaging systems, and more.
- Develops and implements strategic and operational business plans within the context and direction of the Medical Device Solutions business line, which define the market focus and operational services the assigned group will provide to clients
- Responsible for the overall financial performance of the assigned group including attaining gross business volume, net income, and intellectual property goals as well as maximizing profitability, cost control and investment decisions. Manages resource expenditures including percent time on project for staff, capital equipment, marketing, and internal research and development budgets.
- Plans, initiates, and performs marketing activities to identify potential clients, new business segments, and market needs to maximize business opportunities. Contributes to proposals and bid/no bid decision processes. Establishes pricing policy and specific pricing practices.
- Performs manpower planning and assures appropriate staffing levels and skill mix commensurate with the business. Directs and organizes staff assignments to various projects.
- Manages human resource activities such as developing recruiting strategy and hiring staff, establishing performance goals and appraising performance, and providing opportunities for career development. Manages relationships of staff and other groups. Provides necessary training and mentor opportunities for staff.
- Ensures staff conduct research, development, and technical activities within the established business ethics, safety and quality policies and procedures. Reviews and approves, as necessary, proposals, reports and articles.
- Directs efforts to produce efficient sales results and assures that sales investments are consistent with the BMI strategic thrusts.
- Works across Battelle market sectors, global businesses and national laboratories to ensure continuity and coordination in the areas of business development, client management, program management and opportunity expansion. Plans effective teaming arrangements, establishes shared accountabilities and shared returns, and monitors results.
- Manages facility and equipment needs including space requirements, new facility and modification decisions, and procurement for home office and offsite locations.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key clients and federal agencies and their staff. Exhibits clear understanding of customer requirements in order to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Implements, executes, and communicates the policies and strategic emphasis of top management to staff. Integrates decisions into operating policies.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering or business administration
- 10 years of management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and or experience in a related field.
- Must have sufficient communication skills to effectively interact with top management internally and within client organizations, subcontractors, consultants, and staff.
- Prior management including critical human relation skills to understand, select, develop and motivate others.
- P&L and expense management greater than $2 million annually.
- Requires evidenced ability to lead others in the achievement of goals.
- US citizen
- Experience in developing medical devices under ISO 13485 standards
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Experience applying for government contracts
- A combination of business and engineering degrees
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
As a condition of employment, Battelle will inquire about COVID vaccination status, and in the event that vaccinations are mandated at a work location (including client site and Battelle sites) we expect all candidates to comply with these required safety protocols.
Battelle is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers