Job Description Postdoctoral Fellowship (Translational Toxicology) - (210000DY)
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Division of Environmental Toxicology
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Maryland School of Medicine seeks Postdoctoral Fellow position. This position will be available on October 1, 2021 for 4 years.
We are seeking a talented inventive result-driven scientist with an interest in biological image analysis. Experience in facial recognition or related machine vision coding an advantage. The study involves preclinical testing of novel therapies to treat post-menopausal hot flush symptoms in an advanced animal model. The brain selective estrogen being tested is hypothesized to reduce the thermal flush events that occur post-menopausal, without any of the current systemic estrogen therapy side effects on other body organs. The project will involve long term skin temperature monitoring non-invasively via infrared cameras with images collected continuously for months. The first research activity will involve automation of data analysis of images (value of skin temperature, length of elevation, frequency, day-light associations etc., and the effect of brain selective estrogen on skin temperature). The goal to develop high throughput machine vision detection of thermal face hot flush events.
The secondary line of research involves mechanistic studies aimed at better understanding the mechanism of hot flush and the action of estrogen therapy. These studies will involve molecular biological (RT-PCR, in situ hybridization), immunocytochemical and western blot analysis. A successful postdoc, if not proficient with these approaches, may learn these techniques.
The Principal Investigators are committed to assist the postdoc in her/his career development. We are a team of scientists with diverse backgrounds (anatomy, physiology, molecular biology) and welcome candidates from all races, ethnicities, cultures, genders, and gender identities. Interested applicants should apply online through the University of Maryland, School of Medicine website (https://www.umaryland.edu/jobs/), job ID #210000DY and include: a cover letter, CV, research statement, and contact information for three references.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Qualifications Required qualifications:
- Good computer, statistical, and image analysis skill Matlab or other programming language experience Experience with facial recognition or machine vision coding Effective written and oral communication skills
• Organized, self-motivated with a strong work ethic
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
• Prior experience and/or understanding of biochemical and molecular biological assays is a plus, but not required.
- Image analysis and computer programming (Matlab or other language) Proficiency in software for data and statistical analyses Good scientific writing and communication skills Candidates should have received their Ph.D. or bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science, pharmacology, biochemistry, or cell/molecular biology within the last 2-3 years.
Job : Postdoctoral Fellows Organization : School of Medicine - Clinical Departments Job Posting https://umb.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=210000DY&lang=en