The Principal Scientist, Neuroscience reports directly to the Sr. Director of the Neuroscience Department with responsibilities centered around the execution, planning and management of neuroscience-related studies. The ability to communicate succinctly with clients, study directors and technicians is key as is a cross-functional, flexible and collaborative spirit. The successful candidate will have direct knowledge of the time and costs associated with a given amount of scientific work, can communicate their scientific expertise to other scientists, directors, VPs and CEOs of client companies, and can execute multiple, concurrent studies in a timely fashion that matches business demand.
- Independently apply hands-on scientific expertise and established capabilities in neuropharmacology, neuroimmunology or related life science in the acquisition and interpretation of preclinical support (in vitro and in vivo) for client products.
- Provide scientific leadership; uphold scientific rigor of processes and deliverables.
- Generate new expertise, new concepts, and longer-term model development for the business.
- Lend scientific support within or across research groups when needed/required (molecular, analytical chemistry, DMPK, ex vivo, histopathology, etc.). Laboratory environment in which scientific technology is used to support the development of client products and new innovations that are desired by market forces.
- Directly perform and manage internal validation studies and sponsored preclinical studies, including protocol development, study execution, operation of laboratory equipment, data collection, and analysis to deliver scientifically valid results within defined restraints (e.g. budget, time).
- Identify bottlenecks or unknowns and promote solutions, innovations, and new technologies to internal stakeholders
- Possible provision of leadership and supervision for direct reports (e.g. more junior scientists or technicians) by defining/developing objectives, monitoring progress, mentoring and teaching new procedures and equipment, and providing performance feedback.
- Network within and across business group units to achieve common goals and to drive potential collaborations and innovative solutions.
- Review final reports and assist with their preparation using skills in writing and statistical analysis
- Maintain active scientific and professional networks by identifying and connecting with technical experts, key opinion leaders, and participating and presenting at relevant conferences, meetings, and continuing education seminars.
- Stay abreast of relevant developments in scientific knowledge while maintaining business context.
- Lead improvements of team efforts, including increasing efficiency and data quality
- Collaborate with internal team leads, other principal investigators, scientists, pathologists, and analysts/technicians to meet project goals, including proper quality control of incoming specimens and data to the department.
- Conduct all work under applicable regulatory agency guidelines; read, review and comply with company SOPs, company best practices and company policies.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, neuroimmunology or closely related discipline
- 5 + years beyond doctoral studies in industrial research setting (preferred) or academic research position
- Established skills in in vivo/ex vivo neuroscience/immunology work, study design and protocol development, confocal microscopy, culturing of brain tissue, immunohistochemistry and image analysis
- Excellent analytical, writing, presentation and organizational skills as well as the ability to communicate clearly and independently with contract research clients
- Excellent computer skills, as demonstrated by proficiency with Microsoft Office and at least 2 statistical analysis packages
- Previous management of technicians is a plus
Minimum salary: $110,000
Employees at Inotiv are offered a fun, fast paced work environment with competitive pay, benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k with company match, stock options, and much more!
At Inotiv our team members come together in support of an organization focused on delivering the experience, knowledge, and responsiveness demanded from an industry striving to bring new cures to market more safely and faster than ever before. Come join our team!
Inotiv is an equal opportunity and E-verify employer.