The Department of Neuroscience at Yale University has an open position for a scientist with excellent writing skills and past research experience to support its scientific activities. Reporting to the Chair of the Department and working closely with the Director of Scientific Operations and the faculty in the Department, the Science Writer will write about a wide range of complex scientific topics—on deadline and tailored to key audiences and channels. Duties of the position will be diverse and will include assisting faculty in the preparation of grant applications and in disseminating research findings.
Duties of the position include:
- Assisting faculty in preparation of grant applications and administrative reports
- Writing, editing, and preparation of articles for submission to scientific journals
- Fostering communication of Department activities to the neuroscience community at Yale and beyond in various formats including white papers, web content, lay articles, press releases, research briefs, profiles, feature articles, e-newsletters, etc.
- Generating content for Departmental web sites and social media accounts
- Engaging in Departmental outreach activities for enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Additional duties as assigned
The candidate will be embedded in the intellectual environment of a very strong and collaborative neuroscience research community, whose focus spans from molecular and cellular neuroscience to system and cognitive neuroscience.
The applicant, who will be hired in a Research Faculty position, should have a PhD degree in a biological discipline, with preference for neuroscience; postdoctoral experience and/or experiences as an independent investigator is preferred but not required. Experience in scientific writing and outreach is highly desirable. Outstanding interpersonal skills, enthusiasm at working with others, drive to learn and passion for neuroscience required.
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, 3 writing samples, and arrange for submission of 3 letters of recommendation that should include comments on writing skills. All application materials should be submitted electronically to apply.interfolio.com/90581. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and until the position is filled with priority given to those applications received by November 30, 2021.
Yale University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Yale values diversity among its students, staff, and faculty and strongly welcomes applications from women, persons with disabilities, protected veterans, and underrepresented minorities.