- Participates in matters related to population health and tobacco regulatory science, including the behavioral and Social Science aspects of public health issues related to tobacco products.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert in the development of policy by providing expertise on current trends in social science, including, but not limited to cognitive, experimental, or social psychology, economics, sociology, and communications science.
- Designs and develops research protocols using behavioral and social science perspective of public health issues and problems (both quantitative and qualitative research).
- Analyzes data obtained in studies designed to investigate comprehension, judgement, knowledge and behavior related to tobacco products.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates the potential impact of labeling and advertising on consumer comprehension, judgment, and knowledge related to tobacco products.
Conditions of Employment
- Citizenship Requirement: You must be a U.S. Citizen to be considered for this advertisement unless explicitly stated otherwise.
- Direct Deposit: You will be required to have all federal salary payments electronically deposited into a bank account with a financial institution of your choice.
- Background Investigation Requirement: All employees must pass a security investigation. Failing to pass the background check may be grounds for removal or legal action. If hired, you may be subject to additional investigations at a later time.
- FDA participates in e-Verify: All new hires must complete the I-9 form; this information will be processed through e-Verify to determine your employment eligibility. If a discrepancy arises, you must take affirmative steps to resolve the matter.
- Certification of Accuracy: All information concerning eligibility and qualification is subject to investigation and verification. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection, or appropriate legal action.
The position of Social Scientist falls under the 0101 occupational series. To qualify for this position at grade GS-13, you must meet the following:
Degree: behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience that provided the applicant with knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
Four years of appropriate experience that demonstrated that the applicant has acquired knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
NOTE: Applicants must submit all relevant transcripts that demonstrate you possess the required education to meet the Basic Qualifications.
Specialized Experience. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
You must possess 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service or public which includes, designing and developing research protocols using behavioral and social science perspective of public health issues and/or conducting research on consumer perception, intention and/or use of products that could be applied to tobacco and/or other regulated products