Senior Research Associate
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to cure neurodegeneration. Our team is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and board members, leading healthcare investors and some of the most innovative pharma companies.
Would you like to create something new that really makes a difference? Would you like to be part of a hardworking team where everyone has a voice?
As a Senior Research Associate in our Target Discovery team, you will play a key role in Alector's efforts to understand the basic biology of brain disorders and translate great science into exceptional drugs. You will work closely with other scientists to validate original targets and develop innovative drugs targeting the immune cells to treat neurodegenerative disorders and cancer. You will apply your technical skills to generate and analyze data central to Alector’s scientific discovery effort. You will be influential in championing and developing our culture and discovery strategy.
Your immediate goals include:
- Culture hiPSC lines and primary cells for downstream differentiation applications.
- Differentiation of hiPSC to microglia, macrophages, and neurons.
- Genome engineering using CRISPR systems.
- Developing new assays using cell culture and relevant analytical methods.
- Generating primary data and communicating effectively to partners.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience in hiPSC culture and differentiation.
- Experience in transducing/transfecting diverse human cell lines/primary cells.
- Good command of molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid purification and quantification, qPCR, cloning, etc.)
- Solid understanding of multi-color flow cytometry.
- Proven track record to plan, organize and execute studies independently with many samples.
- Proven ability to participate as an independent contributor in multi-function teams.
- A demonstrated track record of a quick learning curve and independent troubleshooting.
- A minimum of 3 years of research experience at the bench in a relevant field.
- A point of view but are low ego.
Not required for consideration, but considered a plus:
- hiPSC differentiation into brain cell types.
- Genome editing in hiPSC.
- Direct experience working with macrophages or microglia.
- Background knowledge in immunology and/or neuroscience.
- Preparing NGS libraries for RNA-seq.
- Experience in immunostaining and microscopy (fixed and/or live cell) and in high-throughput assays and/or automation.
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a great place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Come join us.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.