Research Support Specialist
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
- Supports and assists in research protocols and works independently of day to day oversight.
- Provides technical and husbandry support for rodents within the facilities.
- Ensures that cages are labeled correctly with information regarding strain or lineage, sex and sexual status of mice and rats. Updates cage cards as necessary.
- Provides animal identification, i.e. ear notching, tail tattoo or transponder, as indicated.
- Monitors availability of space and caging and communicates that information to the PM.
- Monitors environmental parameters and reports problems to the PM.
- Assists with the supervision of specialized care of animals including preparation of special diets and medicated water, care of immature, aged and special animals.
- Conduct daily health assessments and report findings to the Attending Veterinarian.
- Administer drugs or treatments to animals as directed.
- Ensure that proper veterinary care and treatment for animals is maintained and records are documented completely.
- May be required to perform IP, IM. ID, and SQ injections, oral gavage, submandibular, eye, and cardiac bleeds, full body perfusion and dissection.
- May be required to become proficient at performing surgical services such as jugular, carotid, or femoral vessel cannulation; CSF collection; stereotaxic intracranial implants; and liver resection.
- Interface with research staff to assist with logistics and scheduling of projects, and conduct research and laboratory support services as directed
- Conducts behavioral testing on rats and mice to assess locomotor, cognitive, sensory, and emotional function.
- Complies with safety policies, procedures and SDS guidelines, including those related to biohazards and radioactive substances.
- Handles large, aged rats gently and calmly
- Maintain all related logs and spreadsheets for data storage
- Maintains required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education: HS diploma or GED equivalency required.
- Experience/Certification: 1-year experience with research animals + LAT certification OR Bachelor of Science in Animal Science or similar + 3 years of experience working with research animals OR 10-13 years of experience working with research animals.