HISTORY AND BACKGROUND:
One Mind was founded by the Staglin family to accelerate science for better diagnostics and cures, to translate outcomes for patients, and to impact society by reducing stigma and discrimination for all with a brain health/mental illness. Today One Mind is recognized as a global leader that has raised almost $500 million and driven fundamental advances in research and advocacy. Supported by an active Board of 14 dedicated members and a 9-person Scientific Advisory Board of the world’s top neuroscientists, One Mind has set the ambitious vision of accelerating brain health for all.
Twenty-six years of world-leading discoveries by One Mind’s funded scientists have yielded fertile opportunities to change the lives of people who struggle with brain health. Now is the time to accelerate our research agenda and to make those advances available to everyone. One Mind’s Science Director will lead the team in planning and executing initiatives to make and develop discoveries into interventions to empower healing across our society.
Reporting to the President, the Science Director is an integral part of the One Mind team and engages in a variety of activities to support One Mind’s mission. These include, but are not limited to:
• Expanding and managing a portfolio of research projects to make critical advances in knowledge and services for the prevention of or recovery from mental illness.
• Coordinating meetings with the scientific community and other stakeholders to develop and implement data-driven strategies to leverage opportunities in mental health research to improve the lives of patients at scale. Such opportunities include learning health care networks, digital health, open science, public-private partnerships to develop biomarkers and new therapeutics, and global research consortia.
• Developing requests for applications for One Mind’s annual One Mind Rising Star Awards and other research funding opportunities in collaboration with the One Mind Scientific Advisory Board and staff.
• Concise communication of information about One Mind’s Science Portfolio with publications, presentations, and website posts for both lay and technical audiences.
• Working with Development Director to cultivate relationships with philanthropists and science/program directors of foundations.
• Assisting other One Mind staff in media and communications as needed.
• Advanced degree in a field related to mental health research, such as Psychology, Neuroscience, Public Health, Data Science, or an equivalent clinical degree, such as MSW, MSN, etc.
• 3 or more years of experience conducting neuroscience and/or mental health research.
• Experience managing and/or coordinating research projects or community services, preferably at the national level.
• Strategic thinking, combined with strong analytical capabilities required to synthesize data and develop insights to drive optimal planning and metrics management.
• Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
• An interest in big picture approaches to mental health research ranging from discovery science to implementation and evaluation.
• Preferred: A strong network of relationships among the national and global brain health science community.