Research Scientist, Brain Slice Electrophysiology
Xenon Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:XENE) – a biopharmaceutical company with operations in Vancouver, BC, Canada and Boston, MA, USA – is advancing an exciting pipeline of therapies for neurological disorders, with a particular focus on innovative treatments for epilepsy.
Xenon has a number of promising therapeutics in clinical development, valuable collaborations with pharmaceutical partners, and innovative early-stage research underway and also has a strong balance sheet to support its continued growth in 2020 and beyond.
We are a collaborative, ambitious, and driven team with a common mission to improve the lives of patients with neurological disorders. Creating a healthy and productive work environment is a priority, and we understand the importance of investing in our employees’ growth and development. We support charities and volunteerism, knowing that when our people contribute to their local communities, they are gaining new experiences and becoming even better leaders. Xenon’s employees are smart, passionate, and driven by their incredibly important work to discover, develop and deliver new medicines for patients in need. We are looking for talented and determined individuals who thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment to join our team during this transformative time for the company. If you want to learn more about job opportunities at Xenon, please visit www.xenon-pharma.com.
We are seeking a Research Scientist, Brain Slice Electophysiology to join our team. We are in search of a highly motivated and creative electrophysiologist who will contribute to characterizing and elucidating the effects of novel agents on the function of target ion channels. The primary role will be to develop and run brain slice electrophysiological assays techniques including manual patch clamp electrophysiology and multielectrode array (MEA). In addition, this Research Scientist will devise and conduct experiments to deepen our understanding of compound mechanism of action on our targets of interest. Our intent is to identify a Scientist with the potential to actively and independently evaluate and drive new avenues of research. Expertise in brain slice electrophysiology is essential. There will be the opportunity to work with transgenic mouse lines, optogenetics and various imaging techniques. The successful candidate will join a passionate, diverse, and dynamic team focused on developing treatments for epilepsy and other neurologic indications.
Reporting to the Senior Scientist, Electrophysiology, this position will be located in the Vancouver area, BC, Canada; relocation and immigration support will be provided.
- Develop, implement and validate new assays of excitable cell function both independently and as part of a larger team
- Timely delivery of data and interpretation to drive and inform project team directions
- Active participation and presentation at group and project meetings
- Coordination and documentation of datasets to support internal decision making as well as external publications and regulatory filings
- Recruit, lead, direct, develop, coach and evaluate direct reports, if any, in accordance with the Company’s Human Resource policies and practices
- Act in accordance with Company policies, including, for example, the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and ensure policies are understood and followed by direct reports, if any
- Ph.D. or commensurate experience in neuroscience, neuropharmacology or related field with an in depth knowledge of electrophysiological techniques is essential
- Experience investigating neuronal function and or pharmacology electrophysiologically and creatively quantifying effects in these assays
- Excellent analytical skills allowing for qualitative and quantitative evaluation of complex systems and datasets and distillation of that data into clear, insightful interpretations
- Experience handling and managing large datasets
- Enthusiasm for laboratory work, good problem solving abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and initiative
- Excellent record keeping, attention to detail
- An adaptable mindset with the ability to adapt to rapidly changing projects and priorities
- Ability to work in a dynamic and enthusiastic team environment is critical
To apply for this position, click 'Apply Now' and complete the application. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, due to the volume of applicants, only those chosen for interview will be contacted.