Post-Doctoral Fellow – Molecular and Cellular Neurodegeneration
We are looking for a highly motivated and collaborative post-doctoral fellow to join the laboratory of Prof. Darren Moore in the Center for Neurodegenerative Science at the Van Andel Institute in Michigan (https://www.vai.org/).
The position is available for an ambitious scientist to use biochemical and cell biological approaches and rodent models to investigate the pathogenic mechanisms underlying VPS35 mutations in familial Parkinson’s disease. The laboratory employs a multidisciplinary approach involving numerous experimental model systems, including primary neurons and astrocytes, C.elegans, Drosophila and rodents, to elucidate the biological function and pathophysiological mechanisms of proteins linked to inherited forms of Parkinson’s disease. The laboratory is particularly interested in the development of novel rodent models of inherited Parkinson’s disease using viral-mediated gene transfer or gene targeting/editing approaches. Please visit our website for an overview of our research and lab: https://moorelab.vai.org/
- A recent Ph.D. graduate with demonstrated experience in any of the following fields: cell biology, biochemistry and/or neuroscience. At least one publication in these fields would be desirable.
- A preferred candidate will have experience in any of the following research areas: cell biology in neuronal and/or glial culture models; confocal and/or stereological microscopy; proteomics; viral vector technology; development of genetic animal models; rodent neuropathology and behavior.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of a project.
- A detail-oriented researcher who still keeps a clear grasp of the big picture.
- A team player who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Van Andel Institute (VAI) provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers. The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member. While this project is currently funded, an integral part of post-doctoral training is the process of preparing a research proposal and writing a fellowship application. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI.
Qualified applicants should provide a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three references, to Prof. Darren Moore (email@example.com).
If you possess these attributes and a desire to help us drive scientific discovery, while benefiting from a highly generous compensation package, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top 100 Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.