Postdoctoral Fellow - Neural Circuits and Neurodegeneration
The Chu Laboratory (https://chulab.vai.org), studies the pathogenesis and pathophysiology of Parkinson’s disease at the molecular, cellular, and circuit levels. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to be trained with both traditional and state-of-the-art technologies for neuroscience and neurodegeneration research. The postdoctoral fellow will work in a highly interdisciplinary environment that allows close interaction with a growing Parkinson’s research community at VAI. Excellent postdoctoral training opportunities and career development workshops are available at laboratory and institutional levels (https://vari.vai.org/postdoctoral/).
- A Ph.D. or equivalent degree, in Neuroscience, Physiology, Pharmacology, Biomedical engineering, or related field, is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency as evidenced by first-author publication(s) in peer-reviewed journals and is interested in acquiring new skills.
- Prior experience with electrophysiology and/or Ca2+ imaging techniques is preferred.
- Experience in at least one of the following skills would be favorable: rodent stereotaxic surgery, mouse behavioral analysis, and RNAseq.
HOW TO APPLY: https://bit.ly/2WgHS83
Submit your online application with the following:h
- Cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and career goals.
- CV or NIH biosketch.
- Contact details for 2-3 references.
This position will be open until filled but early applications are encouraged. Qualified applicants may contact Dr. Hong-Yuan Chu directly by email email@example.com.
Van Andel Institute is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
VAI provides postdoctoral training opportunities to scientists beginning their research careers (https://vari.vai.org/postdoctoral/). The fellowships are to help promising scientists advance their knowledge and research experience and at the same time support the research endeavors of VAI under the mentorship of a VAI Faculty member. All VAI Postdoctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply for external funding as soon as it is practical and reasonable after hire. Receiving a fellowship award provides recognition for both the fellow and VAI!
Postdoctoral Fellows at VAI are full-time employees and receive an annual salary along with VAI benefits, including:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
- Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
- 401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
- Relocation Assistance
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Institute is locate in downtown Grand Rapids, MI, which is the second largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of "America's Top Places to Live."
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow offering exceptional career opportunities, green building and living, and innovative employers.