Outreach Scientist (Neuroscience/AAV Focus)
Addgene is a nonprofit organization that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Our biorepository stores, archives, and distributes plasmids for academic scientists around the world. Addgene’s plasmid collection represents a broad range of disciplines and can be used for a variety of functions such as genome engineering, CRISPR, gene expression, AAV and lentiviral-mediated gene delivery, imaging, neuroscience, immunology, and cancer research, as well as applications in a wide range of cells and organisms. In addition to sharing plasmids, Addgene also produces and distributes ready-to-use viral vectors generated from plasmids within the repository, including AAV vectors predominantly used for neuroscience experiments and lentiviral vectors for CRISPR experiments.
Addgene was founded in 2004 as an organization dedicated to helping scientists share high-quality plasmids. With over 4,300 contributing laboratories depositing 75,000+ plasmids, Addgene receives strong support from the academic community and continues to grow.
Our Outreach Scientists are part of a dynamic and growing Outreach Team, which focuses on creating strong relationships with the scientific community, developing and sharing helpful resources, and promoting Addgene’s mission at events and conferences. Learn more about life at Addgene and our impact on the scientific community at www.addgene.org.
Addgene is seeking a collaborative scientist with training in Neuroscience or Neurobiology (including use of AAV) to join our team and help the organization better serve scientists that use Addgene’s Viral Service. This is a terrific opportunity to become part of a dynamic environment and to contribute to an important scientific resource. Your expertise and focus on neuroscience will help you strategize a plan for strong external outreach, including traveling to universities to meet with scientists and becoming a friendly and knowledgeable ambassador for our viral vector services at scientific events and conferences. Your experience in science communication will be deployed directly for creating website and blog content as well as supporting marketing strategies.
Although you will not be conducting bench research, you will use your previous experience to assist the scientific community in a meaningful way. Examples of specific tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Travel to universities and institutions on a regular basis to acquire new materials and raise awareness of Addgene’s services, including organizing and executing one-on-one and group meetings with scientists
- Solicit and facilitate plasmid deposits by working with academic researchers and members of their laboratories
- Attend conferences, staff exhibit booths, and give talks to increase awareness of Addgene and our Viral Service
- Build and maintain relationships with scientists in the neuroscience and viral vector engineering communities
- Write scientific blog posts, guides, protocols, and video scripts on neuroscience- and viral vector-related topics
- Curate Addgene’s viral vector collections and maintain related web pages, including HTML editing
- Assist with crafting communications and marketing materials
- Maintain familiarity with scientific literature in various fields, especially neuroscience
- Assist on special projects as needed
Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated, organized individuals who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. Specific qualifications include:
- PhD in Neuroscience, Neurobiology, or similar
- Experience in Molecular Biology and Neuroscience strongly preferred
- Experience using AAV and lentiviral vectors and/or viral production strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral science communication skills, including public speaking and presentation proficiency
- Demonstrated ability to write scientific, educational content for a variety of knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent networking skills
- Able to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Excited about cross-team collaboration, avid team player
- Willing to travel (~25% of time)
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and one relevant science writing sample to email@example.com. Only applications with a cover letter, resume, AND one relevant science writing sample will be considered.