SAIC is seeking a Technical Supervisor for a funded advanced research program. The "Machine Intelligence from Cortical Networks" (MICrONS) program uses experimental and theoretical neuroscience to guide the development of next-generation machine learning algorithms. This position is based in College Park, MD and is responsible for technical supervision of all program-related activities on behalf of the MICrONS Program Manager. Some travel is required (roughly 10%).
Required qualifications for this position include:
- US citizenship, and the ability to obtain a top secret government security clearance.
- PhD in neuroscience, physics or a related discipline with 4 years of experience studying coding and computation in high-throughput recordings of neural activity from behaving animals using quantitative methods, such as dimensionality reduction, time series analysis, and machine learning approaches.
- Training or demonstrated capabilities in applied mathematics (esp. theoretical neuroscience) and computer science. Must be proficient with at least one numerical analysis and statistics framework (e.g. NumPy, Matlab, R) and one general-purpose programming language (e.g. Python, Java, C).
- Two years of experience coordinating collaborative projects with diverse technical contributors and aggressive timelines for achieving results, as evidenced by research publications, public data sets or other artifacts of work.
Additional desired qualifications for this position include (in descending order of importance):
- Strong background in machine learning (ML), with at least 2 years of experience using modern ML techniques to support scientific research or solve other challenging problems.
- Demonstrated experience in more than one of the following disciplines: connectomics, multi-photon microscopy, optogenetics, high-throughput electrophysiology.
- Strong background in systems neuroscience, with at least 2 years of experience studying the circuit basis of cognition.
- Software development and/or cloud computing experience.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a resume and letter of interest summarizing qualifications.