Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY
Position Status: Faculty/Research Positions
Located within WPI's modern Life Sciences and Bioengineering complex in Worcester, MA, a research technician position is currently open in the laboratory of Robert Dempski. Our research, currently funded by the NIH, focuses on using protein biochemistry and an established functional assay to characterize the mechanism of the human zinc transporter, hZIP4. This research technician will interact and closely collaborate with other scientists with the ultimate goal of understanding the biological role of hZIP4 in transition metal homeostasis.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities will include:
• Independently execute molecular biology techniques
• Utilize an established transport assay to identify residues important for protein function.
• Prepare, order, and maintain stocks of necessary reagents, solutions, and supplies
• Document, compile, and analyze experimental data
• Report data in oral and written formats
• Experience in spectroscopic techniques are preferred.
• Bachelor’s/ Master’s degree in Biochemistry or related field
• 1-3 years of related experience in a scientific or medical research setting
• Molecular biology techniques including PCR
• Protein purification skills following heterologous protein expression
• Effective communication skills both written and oral
• Strong organizational techniques, including the ability to handle a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment
• Proactive in identifying problems and solutions to address them
• Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work independently
Posting Date: 03/06/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should include a brief cover letter highlighting the applicant’s research experience and interests, along with full curriculum vitae and names and contact information of 3 references. Applications will be considered until position is filled. A more complete description of the research group can be found at the group web site: http://users.wpi.edu/~rdempski/.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4220
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency